Have you noticed the new 3D photo feature recently added to Facebook? Facebook quietly rolled this out about a month ago and this is probably the most excited I have been about a Facebook update as of late.
The 3D photos are a new way to share pictures in a fun and captivating way. The picture allows for lifelike dimension with photos that are captured using portrait mode on your iPhone. The iPhones with the portrait made feature are: the iPhone 7+, 8+, X, XS or XS Max.
Here are some tips to be a 3D photo professional.
- Create Layers: It is best if your subject is three to four feet away from you. You also want to make sure you have a contrasting background, like a pet in front of a pile of leaves for example.
- Contrast: You also want to make sure your subject has contrasting colors. This will allow the subject to stand out against the background.
- Texture: Use subjects that have some texture and avoid subjects that are shiny or transparent. You want the main subject to have solid edges.
Here are step-by-step instructions on how to post a 3D photo to Facebook.
- Tap inside the box that says “What’s on your mind?”
- If your iPhone is eligible, you will see an option below that says 3D photo, go ahead and select it.
- Your phone should pull open all of your photos that you have taken in “Portrait Mode”
- Select a photo. (Note: if you edited this photo on Instagram or in another app, that photo will not work)
- Hit next.
- Add your caption.
- Hit share.